Hooray! The temps are getting lower, the leaves are turning colors, and I’m all out of vacation time at work…which means it’s NOVEMBER! As I’m sure you’re all aware, it’s also “No Shave November.” Now, the MAN would have you believe that having too much hair is a bad thing, but you know better, don’t you? Long hair and beards are the most rock ‘n roll thing there is. I’m doing my part to let grow, as I do every winter. Does my boss like my beard? I don’t know because I don’t ask. A winter-coat is important to survive the harsh Mid-West winters…but it’s even more important if you’re gonna ROCK!
To celebrate No Shave November, I thought I’d count down my Top 10 All-Time Greatest Rock Beards. Yes, ZZ Top is on this list.
10. Jim Morrison. I know most of you like to think of Jim as a clean-shaven, sober, upstanding member of society…but not me.
9. Scott Ian. The Anthrax guitarist is pretty much world-famous for his facial hair.
8. Dave Grohl. The Foo Fighter’s frontman has the kind of beard you wouldn’t mind taking home to meet your mother.
7. George Harrison. The quiet Beatle was an understated guitarist and an amazing beard-grower.
6. Jim Ford. While not a household name, Jim Ford’s song writing inspired Nick Lowe, who covered his song “36 Inches High.” 36 inches was also his beard length (give or take).
5. Willie Nelson. This man rocks. Plain and simple, as does his beard which is just as famous as Lincoln’s.
4. Paul McCartney. The cute one got married an rocked an awesome 70’s beard. It was good times.
3. Jerry Garcia. I think we’re all grateful for Jerry’s awesome bushy beard.
2. Frank Zappa. Controversial, as Zappa is mostly known for his manicured mustache and soul patch, still a beard in my book.
1. Billy Gibbons. Come on, who else?
For more beard-related fun, why not stop by and visit my friends over at Beards.org. And remember, shaving is for little sissy babies!